With IoT bringing power to our enhanced lifestyle with so many smart devices around us. My smart home is now able to adjust the temperature of AC by itself and turns off the lights as I move out of the room. In addition, these smart devices are constantly generating data and talking to each other. With popularity “Smart Anything” concept, many Cloud IoT Platforms are emerging. But why should I take my IoT application on Cloud? Is it absolutely necessary? The answer lies in the fact that the domain of IoT applications is rapidly increasing. While currently, we find the limited usage of IoT and smart devices, in the future it may increase manifolds.
Need of Data Storage and Analysis
Usually, IoT devices are connected using the home Wi-Fi network. For instance, I can operate the light bulb using a smartphone app, since both are connected to the home wifi network or the smart meter sends the readings automatically. As another example, my connected car guides me through the route to the office. But, is it enough to just make the devices autonomous? After all, I may wish to view the monthly consumption of electricity or what all the routes my vehicle had taken.
In other words, I need some kind of visualization. Therefore, it is also necessary to store the data that sensors present in IoT devices generate so that we can visualize it later. What’s more, we may also require analysis and prediction features. For instance, I may want to predict which route my car is going to take tomorrow. Often, the local storage available with IoT devices is not sufficient to accomplish this task.
What Benefits a Cloud Platform can Provide to an IoT Application?
The cloud platforms provide several benefits to an application which are listed below:
- Security: A cloud platform provides sophisticated authentication and authorization service to the hosted application. Hence, it protects the application from malicious attacks.
- Virtualization: Cloud platforms offer virtualization service as they safely ren out their computing infrastructure to many users.
- Data Storage: You can store a large volume of data on cloud servers.
- Computing: You can utilize globally available computing resources to execute your application.
- Scalability: Cloud servers let you grow your business by scaling the resources on the basis of pay peruse.
All these benefits that cloud platforms offer encourage us to bring the power of cloud computing to our IoT applications.
Popular IoT Cloud Platforms:
Services Offered by IoT Cloud Platforms
When we talk about IoT applications, we can take advantage of the benefits that a cloud platform provides. We can register the IoT devices on a cloud platform. Once registered, the cloud platform provides the following services.
- Query service for listing available IoT devices
- Security using JWT (JSON Web Tokens) based authentication and authorization
- Messaging service for real-time communication.
- Scaling service to accommodate more IoT devices
- Visualization and management of devices
- Computing service for data analysis, prediction, and machine learning
- Load balancing
In essence, the cloud platforms provide a number of performance improvements to our IoT applications that help in managing IoT devices smoothly and securely.
Internet of Things (IoT)