Industry 5.0 is aimed at bringing further efficiency in manufacturing process by involving AI and Automation. By all means, Industry 5.0 will bring together robots and human workers. Therefore, the robots will actually support human workers instead of eliminating them. In fact, Intelligent Automation in Industry 5.0 will lead to higher efficiency and production.
It is important to realize that the fourth industrial revolution or Industry 4.0 aims for the cyber physical systems (CPS) where robots carry out manufacturing processes in more efficient manner as compared to their human counterparts. As a result, the need of human worker declines. In contrast, Industry 5.0 brings back human works to the factory.
Elements of Industry 5.0
Industry 5.0 creates a smart manufacturing system that also leads to research and development. The following key elements are essential for Industry 5.0
- Digitally connected subsystems are required to connect the entire supply chain and various manufacturing processes.
- The network of Sensors and Smart Devices perform the collection of Big Data faster so that efficient analysis and customization becomes possible.
- Data Analysis and Visualization is also a part of Industry 5.0 since it helps in determining the exact needs of the customers. Furthermore, visualization helps in determining the future needs of the customers and helps the managers in formulating policies.
- In fact, Robots are an integral part of Industry 5.0 since they collaboratively work with human workers rather than as competitors.
- Machine Learning and AI is a most important component of the Industry 5.0 since it enables creating the self-learning robots. Basically, a self-learning robot is a companion of the human worker and therefore also called the cobot. While the human worker performs a task, the cobot watches it and learns the task. Equipped with a camera and running the AI and machine learning algorithms, the cobot learns the task and helps in the process.
- Virtual and Augmented Reality enables virtual training in a factory environment and therefore helps in creating a skilled workforce.
- Additive Manufacturing like 3D, 4D, and 5D Printing enables sustainable manufacturing solutions and helps in producing the customized products.
Features of Industry 5.0
- Automation in all manufacturing processes with the use of AI (Artificial Intelligence) and Machine Learning.
- Improved efficiency and productivity will less wastage of resources.
- Personalization of products to meet the customers’ needs.
- Another key point about Industry 5.0 is the involvement of highly capable self-learning robots in the manufacturing process.
Industry 5.0 works towards creating more jobs rather than taking them away. This article on Intelligent Automation in Industry 5.0 discusses some important aspects of Industry 5.0 and the role of AI and automation in the manufacturing process. Further, the components and features of Industry 5.0 are also discussed. Also, there are certain challenges for Industry 5.0 which this article highlights.
Even though Industry 5.0 is a promising strategy, still there are certain challenges to overcome. Firstly, there is a skill gap among the current factory workers. Secondly, the workforce may find it difficult to adapt to the new technology. Finally, the ethical behavior of self-learning robots must be taken into consideration.